Friday, June 27, 2008

interactions

So I was trying to upload photos, but this computer is too slow. I'll do it next time I'm at the speedy (but far away) internet cafe.



I think it’s worth recording the many different kinds of interactions I have with people here.

One big category: communicating with the host fam. I’m staying in a compound that houses about 35 people. Though I haven’t yet figured out the exact relations between them all, I’m pretty certain that they’re all related somehow. Only a very small percentage of them speak French – one of the dads and two teenage girls. Everyone else speaks strictly Bambara. I’m taking a course in Bambara 3 days/week, but my skillz aren’t quite where they need to be for easy conversation. Give me, like, 6 more months. Anyway, I talk to the two girls a lot. Their names are Aisha and Kadya. They explain a lot and teach me words in Bambara. Very helpful.

My interactions with the women of the household are a little different. Both parties are acutely aware of the language barrier, but I feel like there’s a mutual desire to “bond” or what have you. We exchange a lot of smiles, greetings, and handshakes. Sometimes they say something complicated to me in Bambara, and I respond with a quizzical look. Then they repeat themselves, maybe a little more slowly, and wave their hand around. It’s actually the most frustrating thing ever because the vague hand motions DON’T HELP! I would appreciate something a little more sign language-esque. At least I have a better understanding of how foreigners feel when American tourists yell at them in English.

The little kids in the homestay are adorable but can be downright devilish. Sale is a 2 year old (maybe) girl who runs around in a pair of white underpants all day. She’s very outgoing and has the most adorable smile, but… The other day I was working outside with a bottle of sunscreen next to me. Sale came up next to me and starting playing with it, which was fine. Then she snagged it up, let out a cackle, and ran across the courtyard. Clearly she wanted me to chase her around, but I was like ‘bitch please’ and stood there looking angry. After several minutes – a pretty long time to wait for something like this! – she finally brought the sunscreen back. Sale also pesters my roommate, Cari, to no end. Recently C. had to lock herself in our room to keep the 2 year old from bursting in. Even with a locked door, she continued to make a racket by shaking the doorknob and knocking. Dear lord.

Another big category of interactions: people on the street. Again, the kids are so cute but irritating as well. If you’re white, one of the first things you’ll notice here is that children love to yell “Tu-ba-BU! Tu-ba-BU!” after you wherever you go. Tubabu technically means French person, but it’s come to encompass all of us whities. I’m still figuring out how to react to this. Sometimes I ignore it, sometimes I’ll say “Ayi! N togo Djeneba!” which means “No! My name is Djeneba!” I think the latter response has actually worked – walking around my neighborhood I’m starting to hear more “Djeneba! Djeneba!”s and fewer “Tu-ba-BU!”s.

Random kids also like to run up to you and shake your hand/give you a high five/“pound it” (ie pound your fists together). This is adorable and so fun, and I feel like a celebrity…a celebrity who’s at huge risk for pink eye or some other disease transmittable by touch. Fear not Mom and Nanny, I always keep hand sanitizer nearby.

Other kids will yell out to me “Bonjour madame!” This can be as annoying as the tubabu taunt, so sometimes I ignore it as well. Other times I’ll reply in Bambara and ask them how they’re doing: “I ka kene?” Usually they don’t respond, probably because they’re too shy. (Or too taken aback by a white girl speaking Bambara? Yeah, I’m that badass.)

Most random adults don’t make a spectacle out of my presence, thank the lord. Sometimes store owners will call me over and strike up a conversation, ask me my name, etc. Usually they speak French so I can at least communicate what my deal is. Taxi drivers ALWAYS honk at us white people because they think we’re too lazy to walk…pfff.

Obvi I could write a ton more about the people who I’m living with and around. I’ll save some for later.


Photos to come, I promise!!!

No comments: