Wednesday, January 6, 2010

yo

I think that it’s a compliment when someone calls you fat here – at least I hope it is. I’ve gotten this comment from at least two different friends in the past week, always accompanied by an arm gesture reminiscent of Rosie the Riveter’s fist. Ugh. Well these ego-deflaters definitely won’t stop me from eating cheeseburgers whenever I get the chance, because otherwise my diet is limited to fishy sauce and cheap, fried street food.


Mom, Dad and Marie got here on Saturday! I picked them up at the airport at 2:30am with my new taxi driver friend, Papou. Upon their arrival he gave them all Malian names: Mariam, Bakari, and Fatou Coulibaly. For two days we frolicked around Bamako’s grand marché, bargained for taxi fares and fabric, and sat by their hotel’s poolside. Yesterday morning they left for a trip out to Pays Dogon, where they’ll be hiking and sight-seeing until Friday. It’s great having them around, and I love introducing them to this place that is so incredibly different from what they know. We spent an afternoon sitting in Niang’s courtyard (in the home where I’m staying this month), talking a bit with his mother and eating watermelon. They seemed really happy! – if a bit overwhelmed. I know that ultimately, even if Mali exhausts and disgusts them, their trip will leave an invaluable impression. I nagged Mom and Marie to stop taking photos in the Sikoro marketplace, but deep down I’m excited to see my life here through their eyes.


While they’re away this week I am trying to get some interviews done. I had my first one yesterday, with a friend named Sita, in her tiny boutique. I learned a LOT, but as I go back through the recording I think of sooo many more questions that I want to ask her. I will probably schedule a second conversation with her before leaving. I have 2 more tentative interviews lined up for this week, which may or may not happen. Actually, one of them was supposed to take place yesterday. I went to the woman’s house THREE TIMES before catching her at 8:30pm (we were supposed to talk at 1pm) as she was getting ready to take a bath. An early sign that research in Mali is slow-going?


Otherwise I’m keeping myself amused with a book of short stories from the ’60s and season 1 of Alias. I’ve spent some time with MHOP interns, too. Tonight Leona and I went to the American International Club’s trivia night! Not sure I was of much help, except on the “name all seven Harry Potter titles” question. I killed that one. I also had a delicious cheeseburger.


Y’aaaall see you in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Alexis Kendus said...

I love reading about your adventures. It's nice to see be kept up to date. I can just imagine you nagging your mom and Marie to stop taking pictures. Love it. Best of luck with the rest of the trip/interviews. Can't wait to catch up/see you when you get back. Have fun!!! xoxo.

Patrick said...

we really make a great tag team, visiting africa at separate times. aaaand i should've come over. oh well.

Unknown said...

that's awesome that your family got to visit. I like how Marie's Mali name is Mariam. keep having a great time and I'll see you soon!

ps- season 1 of alias is THE BEST. as you know